LAT = 59.326425, LONG = 18.070471
Info about the celebration of King Carl XVI Gustaf's birthday in the Old Town
The Celebration of King Carl XVI Gustaf's birthday at the Royal Castle each year at June 30:th is an old tradition and is very popular among the public. See the YouTube film from the celebrations in 2016 when king Carl XVI Gustaf celebrated his 70:th birthday.
YouTube from King Carl XVI Gustaf's birthday celebration at the Royal Castle 2016. © The Royal Court
The Celebration schedule in 2012 was as follows:
- 11:15 The Navy music band conduct a music program at the Royal Castle outer courtyard.
- 11:40 The army music band march in to the Royal Castle outer courtyard.
- 11:45 The King arrives from the West Arch of the Royal Castle and the both military music band plays. After the music is finished the King will accompany some officers to the Royal Guard Wing of the Royal Castle where a small reception takes place.
- 11:48 - 12:15 The Army music band performs at the Royal Castle outer courtyard.
- 12:00 A Royal Salute of 21 shots is fired from Skeppsholmen.
- 12:20 King Carl XVI Gustaf re-enters to the Royal Castle's outer courtyard.
- 12:23 - 12:40 The Royal Guard rides in to the Royal Castle outer courtyard together with the Royal Guard music band and the changing of the guard take place.
- 12:40 - King Carl XVI Gustaf receives flowers from the public (by some children). After that he will go into the Royal Castle and emerge at a window facing the Outer Courtyard together with the family to receive the visitor's cheers.
There are books where you can write your name if you would like to give king Carl XVI Gustaf your best wishes at the entrance to the Hall of State (The South Arch of the Royal Castle).
His Majesty the King's 70-th birthday celebrations at the Outer Courtyard of the Royal Castle. Photo © The Royal Court.