GPS: 59.326836, 18.069956
The north wall of the Northwest Wing is 48.34 meter and the south wall is 48.31 meter. There is a small extension on the south wall to harmonize with the Southwest wing. The maximum with is 20.74 meter and the total area is 814.9 square meter (8 770 square feet). The height at the Coin Square (Mynttorget) is 18.1 meter. The outer walls were completed in 1760, the last building part of the Royal Castle to be finished.
Drawing of the Basement of the Northwest wing
Drawing of the Ground floor of the Northwest wing. Note the staircase that connects all the floors of the Northwest wing and its access to the Outer Court Yard.
Drawing of the Mezzanine floor of the Northwest wing
The Northwest wing was designed for the very beginning for the Royal Secretariat, Registry and Archive. This is very easy to see by just looking at the drawing since all 3 floors has a central corridor with rooms at each side, a common layout for offices. Most of the Royal Administration moved in 1764 but found them crowded from the start.
Already in 1784 the first parts of the Royal Administration starts to move out from the Royal Castle to other buildings in today's Old Town. After a number of years only the Royal Castle Archive remained as it still does.
The Northwest Wing became popular as a living quarter for different persons of the Royal family, the longest staying was King Gustav VI Adolf who lived there from 1907 until 1973.