GPS: 59.327306, 18.071029
The north side of the Royal Castle was originally planned as the main entrance with the Lion slope as the way up to the North Gate. It was planned as impressive entrance for all visitors to the Royal Castle. After King Karl XII's death in 1718 the main entrance to the Royal Castle was changed to the West Gate but the construction of the Lion slope was kept as planned.
The Lion slope is designed to overcome the great difference in height between the Royal Castle and the shore below and the demand was that it should be easy to come up with horse and carriages, it couldn't be to step. The solution was a double slope in two parts that started from the centre and from the sides. At the sides of the slopes were balustrades with lamps and 2 giant lion sculptures, these sculptures have given the slope its name.
The construction started already in late 17:th century when the rubble from the old main tower of the old Royal Castle "Tre Kronor" was used to fill up the slopes. However it wasn't finished until 1834 when the architect Axel Nyström could connect the Lion slope to the bridge "Norrbro".
The two great lion sculptures that have given the slope its name was made by the artist Jacques Foucquet in 1704 and were place at its present location the same year. Before the slope was named "the Lion slope" in 1770 it was called the Royal Castle ramp.