The Altar piece
The Altar piece, or the Silver Altar piece as it's also called, was a donation by Johan Adler Salvius (1590-1652) and was given after his death by his widow Margareta. He was known as one of the most distinguished diplomats of Sweden and was involved in the negiotiations for restoring the peace after the 30-year war in Europe.
The Altar piece was made by the artist Eustachius Erdmuller from Hamburg and consists of 4 levels, all with reliefs in silver. The relief at the 1:st level pictures Judas at the table with the bag of the 30 silver coins in his right hand while he is holding the left hand at his ear. The relief at the 2:nd level pictures Golgotha where the roman soldier Longinus points his lance at Jesus. At the ground is John the Baptist holding virgin Mary. The relief at the 3:rd level pictures the burial of Jesus and the relief at the 4:th level pictures Jesus over the Underworld where the sinners are to be seen in the flames.
On both sides of the Altar piece are statues of Moses, John the Baptist, Matthew, Mark, John and Luke. The Altar piece was put in place in 1654, two years after the death of Salvius.
The Ecumenical meeting 1925
At the column opposite the Pulpit is the gilded wooden relief of the Ecumenical meeting in the Stockholm Cathedral in 1925. The relief pictures the procession where many of the participants can be recognized. The relief is made by the architect Ragnar Österberg.
The Ecumenical meeting in 1925 was a gathering of all Christian societies in the world with the exception of the Catholic Church and the Pentecostalism.
The Royal Pews
The Royal Pews
The Royal Pews are two, one on each side of the central Church Hall and was designed by the architect Nicodemus Tessin in 1686 to be used by the King and Queen during a Mass. The sculpturing was made in Rococo style by the artist Buchard Precht who has also made the Pulpit.
At the top of each Royal Pew is a great crown symbolizing the King and Queen. At the back is a drapery in gold and green. In the front of the Royal Pew are reliefs. The north Pew is the Kings and the south Pew is the Queens.
The grave of Olaus Petri
During the renovation of the Cathedral in 1903-1909, when among other things the original interior was restored, the grave slab of Olaus Petri was found. It was in a very bad condition and it was decided to move the grave to the present location under the Pulpit where a iron fence was built to protect it. A stone tablet was also added with information about Olaus Petri who was to a great part a driving force behind the reformation in Sweden.
The Pulpit was donated by Elisabeth Hansson, daughter of the Mayer Han Hansson. In 1698 she donated 6 000 silver dales (approx. 125 000 USD in 2016). The first proposal of the new Pulpit by the artist Burchard Precht was rejected and a new proposal two years later and added extra 4 000 silver dales in cost was accepted. In 1703 the new Pulpit was installed.
The Pulpit is made in Baroque style and has the same design as the Royal Pews, which are also made by the artist Burchard Precht. The canopy is highly ornate with gilded small sculptures at the top.
Saint George and the Dragon
The sculpture group Saint George and the Dragon consist of two main sculptures, "Saint George and the Dragon" and "the Princess". It perhaps the most well-known sculpture group in Sweden and was made by the German artist Bernt Notke and was inaugurated in the church 1489.
Saint George represent the Swedish Regent Sten Sture who slain the Dragon representing the Danish king. This sculpture was ordered by the Swedish Regent Sten Sture after the battle of Brunkeberg in 1471 when he defeated the Danish Union King Christian I. The Princess represents Sweden or Stockholm if you are local patriot who is freed of the Danish tyrant.
The sculpture is made out of wood but there is a copy in concrete to be seen at the Merchant Square (Köpmantorget) from 1911. The sculpture in the Cathedral is also a reliquary containing pieces of Saint George, Saint Blaise, Saint Germanus, Saint Leo, Saint Martin, Saint Donatus and Saint Cyriacus. The relics are placed in the chest of Saint George.
The horse harness is decorated with the Coat of Arm of Sten Sture (three lilies), the base of the Princess is picturing a citadel with people from the city of Stockholm. If you look beneath the Dragon you can also see scraps of the Dragons last meal.
The 7-armed candelabra
The 7-armed candelabra is from the 15:th century and was most likely made in Germany. It's made in bronze and the base is held by 4 lions. In 1920 at the princess Margareta's funeral there were no electric lights used according to the wishes and since then there has been no electric lights in the 7-armes candelabra.
The Epitaph of Tessin
The Epitaph of Nicodemus Tessin senior (top), Nicodemus Tessin junior (middle) and Carl Gustaf Tessin (bottom in relief) is at one of the columns in the Cathedral. All were famous architects with Tessin junior responsible for the design of today's Royal Castle.
The Epitaph is made by the artist Carl Milles in 1933 but it was preceded by a older epitaph which was destroyed in 1825. The graves of Nicodemus Tessin senior and junior can't be found any longer and the grave of Carl Gustaf Tessin is at another location.
The Votive ship
The Votive ship is a copy made by the artist Harald Åkerlund in mid-20:th century and was donated to the Cathedral as a replacement for the original which was in a very bad condition. The original is today to be found at the Maritime museum and is from the 17:th century.
A Votiv gift was a Thanksgiving for a prayer where a promise to God was made. This was common among sailors who were saved when their ship was lost at sea.
The Chapel of Holy Mary
The north part of the ceiling in the Church Hall is painted, this is the Chapel of Holy Mary. It's the oldest chapel in the Cathedral and was built by King Magnus Erikson and Queen Blanche of Namour in 1346.
The Sun Dogs painting
The Sun Dogs painting pictures the oldest view of Stockholm and is from the mid-16:th century. Or rather the original was from the mid-16:th century, the present Sun Dog painting is a copy from 1636 made by Heinrich Elbfas and the frame was made by the carpenter Valentin Snickare. The painting was renovated in 1885 and 1907.
The text beneath the painting says: "ANNO DM 1535.
VICESIMA DIE APRILIS VISUM EST IN CIVITATE STOCHOLMENSI TALE SIGNUM IN COELO A SEPTIMA FERME HORA ANE MERIDIEM AD NONAM VSQVE HORAM. TIVGHVNDE DAGHEN I APRILIS MÅNA SIJNTES I STOCKHOLM PÅ HIMMELN SÅDANA TEKN SÅ NAER IFRÅN SIV IN TIL NIO FÖRMIDDA DEN ZWANZIGSTEN TAGH APRILIJ SACH MAN ZU STOCKHOLM. SOLCHE ZEICHEN AM HIMMEL VON SIBEN BIS ANN NEGEN WHR VORMITTAGH RENOVERAT. ANNO 1636"
The text is in 3 languages, Latin, Swedish and German and is says in English: "In 1535. Early morning April 20:th these celestial phenomenon was seen in the sky between 7 and 9 in Stockholm. Anno 1636.".
The Crucifixion & Last Judgment
The Crucifixion was painted by the artist David Klöcker Ehrenstrahl in 1695 and pictures the crucifixion of Jesus. The painting is in colossal format with the characters in real size. The angels above Jesus holds a banner saying "Peccata Mundi" and "Sic Deus Dilexit Mundum" which means "the Worlds Sins" and "How God loved the world".
The Last Judgment was also painted by the artist David Klöcker Ehrenstrahl, but in 1696 and pictures the Last Judgment at the end of time where Jesus judges the humans. This is the largest painting in Sweden.
Both paintings were originally placed in the Royal Castle church but when it was burnt down in the great fire of 1697 these paintings were saved and placed in the Cathedral, they were never returned. The paintings were saved by cutting them into stripes and if you look closely you can still see the markings of those cuts.
The Eel column
The Eel column is a small relief with a text above on a tablet which has given the column its name. The relief shows a picture of the two lions that tries to catch an eel.
The relief and painting is made by Adam van Duren in 1521 and he was the architect of the Danish King Kristian II who Gustav Vasa rebelled agains and finaly overthrow in 1523. The rebellion started in 1520 and ended in 1523 and during that time Gustav Vasa contantly hade to outsmart King Christian II to be able overthrow him.
At the tablet is says: "Der aal is fet ok en stark fisk. Mit ledegen händern is he nicht got to fangen, dat is wis. 1521. Weir en wil vorwaren de mot nee seke eddlur kisten an em nicht sparen" which means "The Eel is a strong fish which is not easy to catch with your bare hands". The meaning is probably that King Christian II found it very difficult to catch Gustav Vasa.